- Training & Events
- Products & Publications
- Branch Network
- Info Hub
- Working together
IIRSM Conference 2018
"Quite simply, one of the best conferences I've attended" - Mike Gillespie, Advent IM
We enjoyed an excellent conference on 24 May.
News presenter and author Nik Gowing set the scene for the day by talking about his research project ‘Thinking the Unthinkable’. Nik discussed how the ability to spot and handle the unexpected is causing organisations’ approaches to risk to be perilously inadequate at critical moments.
Professor David Denyer, drew on his insights from across the globe, exploring organisational resilience and how this can be managed dynamically to cope with our uncertain and rapidly changing world.
We then delved into the key risk challenges flowing from the ‘macro’ issues identified by Nik and David:
- how musculoskeletal disorders and mental health issues are becoming the biggest causes of ill health at work
- the importance of psychology in both personal and group decision making at work
- integrated approaches to risk and safety management, ‘beyond regulation and compliance’,
- technology and the workplace - identifying the risks and opportunities presented by new technology
- how we can each seize control of our own careers and ensure we future proof our skills.
You can view or download the presentations below.
If you wish to read more about the Thinking the Unthinkable research project you can visit the website here or download the interim report below.
Thank you to our speakers for their invaluable contributions:
Nik Gowing - Thinking the Unthinkable
Professor David Denyer - Cranfield School of Management
Pamela Gellatly - healthcare rm
Simone Wray - Avios
Julien Combeau - AIG
John Huckstepp - A Blank Canvas Ltd
Steve Fowler - Amarreurs Consulting