- Training & Events
- Products & Publications
- Branch Network
- Info Hub
- Get Involved
Info & Booking
Take the opportunity to continue your professional development and network with your fellow peers at the upcoming North Scotland branch meeting.
Helping GB Work well - Health Risks at Work.
- Bones & Joints
LOcHER - Learning Occupational Health by Experiencing Risk. (John Cairns MSc Pgd SIIRSM, Director, Cairns Consultancy Ltd)
We ask you kindly to pre-register for the Branch meeting by emailing confirmation of your intention to attend to Hugh Canning at email@example.com so that adequate facilities and refreshments are available. Please also notify us in your registration email if you have any mobility issues, or other vulnerability including special dietary requirements, so that we may make suitable arrangements in advance.
You are requested to notify the Chairman if you are unable to attend following registration. In the event of the meeting being cancelled, all reasonable steps will be taken to notify you as soon as possible.
Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 18:00 - 20:00
Aquatics Meeting Rooms 1 + 2, Aberdeen Sports Village, Aquatics Centre, Regents Walk, Aberdeen, AB24 1SX
Event Date & Location
John Cairns MSc Pgd SIIRSM
John is currently a Director at Cairns Consultancy Ltd. Since his retirement from Strathclyde Fire & Rescue in April 2013, he has provided consultancy to a select number of industrial & emergency services PPE manufacturers, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Heritage Trust Secretary and currently the Trust Secretary since retiring from Strathclyde Fire & Rescue.
Previous experience includes:
- Immediate Past Chairman of Safety Groups UK (SGUK)
- Elected as chairman in 2014 (voluntary position) –
- Stepped down at end of 2016, having been involved with the Safety Groups movement since 1980 – In his position as chairman provided leadership & guidance to the organisation which incorporates 72 local groups throughout the UK. He worked in partnership with all the major UK Health and Safety stakeholders including HSE, IOSH, BOHS, IIRSM, BSC, NEBOSH etc.
In particular he was the SGUK lead for several UK major health initiatives & projects including:-
- “Health Risks at Work – Do you Know Yours?” For industrial workers.
- “LoCHER – Learning Occupational Health by Experiencing Risk”. For young people.
- “SafeTea “a collaborative initiative that he pioneered with 3M to raise awareness of occupational health issues.
Qualifications & Other Information:
- 2017 - LoCHER – National Steering Group Member
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
- MSc – Marketing – University of Glasgow.
- Pgd – Marketing – University of Paisley.
- Member of the British Safety Industry Federation – BSiF.
17:30 - Doors open
18:00 - Buffet with refreshments (tea and coffee) on arrival.
18:30 - Introduction
18:45 - Presentation
19:30 - Networking