- Training & Events
- Products & Publications
- Branch Network
- Info Hub
- Working together
Everyone manages risks, from Board members and the CEO to all front-line workers. Taking a 'risk-based' approach to strategy development, business planning, organisational culture and decision-making is essential.
This practical one day course helps delegates develop their understanding and practical knowledge of the vital role risk management plays, from saving money to saving lives.
Benefits of attending:
- Great networking and professional discussion.
- Practical tools and ideas to immediately apply back at the workplace.
- Informative with real examples to aid understanding.
- Increase your value and resilience with a fundamental understanding of good risk management practice.
- For non-members, discounted membership of IIRSM.
Dates TBC. In the meantime, to register your interest in this course, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members - £295 + £59 VAT. Total cost: £354
Non-members - £395 + £79 VAT. Total cost: £474
We can offer a 15% discount for groups of three or more from the same organisation who are attending the same training date. Please note, this discount cannot be used with any other promotional discounts we may be offering. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Please ensure you read the Event Terms and Conditions prior to booking this training course.
ABOUT THE COURSE
What will you learn?
This course is highly interactive and uses an applied learning approach with delegates working together, using relevant case studies and learning through real examples. At the end of the course, you will understand:
- The global risk management standard ISO 31000 - principles, process and framework.
- The importance of people, psychology and behaviour in managing risk.
- How to integrate a 'risk-based' approach to strategy development, operations and managing stakeholder relationships.
- How broad risk-based approaches achieve better overall business results.
Learning outcomes include:
- Understand the differences between uncertainty, risk, threat and opportunity.
- Explain the value of managing risks.
- Understand the impact of the external and internal context.
- Describe the risk management process and how to implement it.
- Discuss how risk management integrates within an organisation.
What is a 'risk-based' approach?
- Understanding an organisation's internal and external context.
- Having purpose beyond mere profit, and values that embed that purpose.
- Embracing and managing change.
- Using a common risk language.
- Empowering risk leadership at all levels across an organisation.
- Linking the risks faced by particular functions or business units to the wider organisational risk framework.
- Taking a proportionate approach to managing risk and opportunities.
Who is this course for?
You should attend this course if you:
- Are new to risk management.
- Work in a non-risk role but are responsible for managing risk in your function or business unit.
- Are responsible for implementing organisational standards, for example ISO 45001, ISO 9001, ISO 31000.
- Run a small or medium sized organisation and have many roles to juggle and lots of risks to manage.
Meet the trainer
Our trainers have multi-disciplinary backgrounds and are adept in bringing together risk management and occupational safety and health together with governance, business continuity, change management and crisis management.
Steve provides consultancy services specialising in international business strategy, risk and resilience, occupational health and safety, and change management.
Steve is a prolific writer on risk management and business strategy, risk in major projects international development and on competency standards for the risk management profession. He previously served 12 years as Chief Executive Officer at the Institute of Risk Management. He is a member of the British Standards Institution's committee for risk management and serves on risk management committees for major organisations.
"The managing risk course is a great starting point for those new to risk management. The course content is highly relevant and practicable allowing you to have immediate takeways back to work."
Cliff Jones, Head of Compliance and Behavioural Change, Power, Transmission & Distribution, Balfour Beatty.
"The managing risk course is at the right level to enable delegates to bridge the gap between Occupational Safety and Health and a broad, integrated view of risk. It is particularly effective in using real examples and scenarios. I highly recommend it."
David Tucker, Health, Safety and Security Manager, Landsec
"A great introduction to the wider world of risk."
Alison Hodgetts, Health and Safety Risk Manager, ITV