- Training & Events
- Products & Publications
- Regional Network
- Info Hub
- Working together
Info & Booking
Live online risk management training
Risk management should be integrated throughout every organisation, no matter its type and size. Everyone, regardless of role and seniority, needs to be able to manage and take risk. Ultimately, effective decision making, and successful performance is the mark of excellence in risk management.
This online course is designed to deliver a practical and engaging experience, using real-world case studies, short bursts of content delivery, video, interactive polls, and group discussions in break-out rooms. The experience is not only an enjoyable one, but you will gain invaluable knowledge and skills.
- use risk management to improve your decision-making.
- analyse how the external world and internal organisation drive achievement of your objectives and how you can influence their impact.
- apply practical tools to assess, manage and communicate risk.
- understand how a simple risk management framework can make your organisation more resilient and successful.
- understand the critical importance and role of people and culture.
Dates & times
The course is split into two online 90 minute sessions taking place over two consecutive days. On each day, the course starts promptly at 9am, finishing at 10:45am (UK time). Upcoming dates are:
- 20 & 21 October 2020
- 15 & 16 December 2020
- 2 & 3 February 2021
- 23 & 24 March 2021
- 25 & 26 May 2021
IIRSM uses GoToTraining to deliver online training courses. Find out more about system requirements here. Full information will also be sent with joining instructions.
IIRSM Member rate: £125 + VAT
Non-member rate: £175+VAT
Bookings are made online with a credit or debit card (see below). If you want to register and pay for a group booking please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, you may also request an invoice for group bookings.
If you are an IIRSM member, please log in prior to completing the form below to obtain the discounted member rate.
We offer a 15% discount for five or more bookings from the same organisation. Delegates do not need to register for the same course dates. Please note, this discount cannot be used with any other promotional discounts we may be offering. For more information and to receive the discount, contact us on email@example.com.
Please ensure you read the Event Terms and Conditions prior to booking this training course.
Tuesday, 20 October, 2020 - 09:00
Wednesday, 21 October, 2020 - 10:45
Wednesday, 21 October, 2020 - 10:45
Event Date & Location
Who should attend
The course is for anyone who needs a fundamental understanding of risk management. Risk management is becoming a pre-requisite for many roles, especially the more senior you progress.
You should attend this course if you are:
- a business owner looking to improve your business performance and resilience
- a manager within a small or medium sized enterprise with many different roles and risks to juggle
- working in a risk-related discipline including, but not limited to, health and safety, compliance, business continuity, resilience, environmental management, insurance, quality management, security etc
- responsible for implementing management systems standards, projects or change
- looking to build a foundation in risk management before completing further risk management training such as Managing Risk – in a day or the NEBOSH IIRSM Certificate in Managing Risk (piloting in Autumn 2020)
- simply looking to learn how risk management can help you do your job better
About the course
Too often, organisations or projects can be disrupted by several small events that reinforce one another in unexpected ways. Therefore, risks need to be openly discussed, challenged, escalated, and communicated. This is integral to strategy development, operational management, and project success.
This course provides a practical introduction to the principles, tools and processes that can be used to improve decision-making enabling you to become more resilient and better prepared for a crisis.
You will learn about:
- The principles of risk management
- Applying risk management to improve your decision making
- The differences between uncertainty and risk, and threat and opportunity
- Types of strategic, financial, operational and hazard risks
- Emerging and unseen risks
- Organisational ‘risk radar’
- Techniques to help you assess your organisation’s environment
- Practical tools to help you identify, analyse, and treat risk
- Risk registers and risk matrices
- Interpreting statistics
- Recording, reporting, and communicating risk
- Culture, behaviours, and values
- ‘Mental shortcuts’ or heuristics
- Risk management frameworks, policies, and standards
- Risk appetite and objectives
- Aligning your risk management system with other system standards
- Internal audit
- Organisational resilience
Resources and take-aways
By attending, you will receive:
- A course handbook
- A risk checklist
- A risk register template
- An example risk policy
- A Bow-tie template
- Certificate of attendance
Meet the trainers
Steve Fowler FIIRSM
Steve provides consultancy services specialising in international business strategy, risk and resilience, occupational health and safety, and change management.
Steve is a prolific writer on risk management and business strategy, risk in major projects, international development and on competency standards for the risk management profession. He previously served 12 years as Chief Executive Officer at the Institute of Risk Management. He is a member of the British Standard Institution's committee for risk management and serves on risk management committees for major organisations.
Helen Barge FIIRSM
A member of the Risk Management Standards Committee at the British Standards Institute and of the Institute of Leadership and Management, Helen has worked in a variety of industry sectors since 1986. During this time, she has held roles encompassing IT and business management and including over a decade in governance, risk and compliance. This breadth of experience allows Helen to apply her knowledge of IT systems, processes and procedures to the complexities of the business environment. Helen is the focal point for cyber security at the Coventry & Warwickshire regional group of the Federation of Small Businesses and regularly delivers presentations to cross-sector groups on the need to ensure that their organisations are secure. Risk Evolves, under Helen’s leadership, are also founding members of the West Midlands Cyber Security Cluster.
IIRSM Training Experience
Welcoming - it is important to us that you feel relaxed to ensure you enjoy and get the most out of the learning experience.
Expertise - we have passionate trainers who keep up to date with the latest trends.
Engaging - trainers are assessed on quality of delivery and delegate interaction.
Practical - tools and ideas to immediately take back to the workplace.
Networking - great opportunity to meet and learn from delegates with different backgrounds and experiences.
"This course was informative and eye opening in the approach taken towards risk management by companies and the mistakes which can occur by not considering risks other than just safety. I would recommend this course to any person who manages risk or who has an interest in risk management." Darren Whyte EHS, Training & Inspection Director, Irt Consult Environmental & Energy Ltd, Ireland.
"It was refreshing to attend a risk management course where the content addresses the wider issue of risk management without the usual H&S risk, environmental risk, process-based risk etc. silos. The information provided in the course materials links the theory to actual risk events, making it so much clearer to understand. I would recommend the course to anyone who is tasked with influencing decision-making in an organisation." Karen McKay Callow, QHSE Management Systems Auditor.
"An introduction to risk management and resilience to existing and emerging risks and opportunities, this course will give you an insight into how to tackle risk, tools to use and the supporting guidance available." Donna Henderson, Director, Quality Solutions Fife Ltd.
"Very good snapshot of the risk management principles." Radharamanan Panicker, Director, Dangerous Goods Management India Pvt.
"This was a very interesting short course delivered by a knowledgeable trainer, so much so, I purchased the suggested further reading. Definitely recommended." Jon Rowen, Project Manager, BMW.
"This was a really good introduction to risk management in a wider context than the normal safety risk management that I do." Robin Kirkpatrick, Project H&S Manager, GRAHAM.
"This was a great course to introduce you to the essentials of risk management. I found it useful as a refresher." Nathalie Lawrence, Safety Systems Manager, GWR.
"The course was very well put together and the participation element was very good, despite the web based learning environment." Delwyn Goodchild, Managing Director, Hue Imbued Consultancy.
"This is a good course for refreshing your thinking and knowledge." Paul Watson, Senior Assurance HS Manager, Jacbos International.
"A very helpful introduction into the formal world of risk management including principles, tools, standards and frameworks using real life examples." Course delegate
"The real-life case studies and relating the content to very current examples made it very relevant. Also, the additional materials received are very helpful and simple to download." Course delegate