- Training & Events
- Products & Publications
- Branch Network
- Info Hub
- Get Involved
Training & Events
"The Managing Risk course is a great starting point for those new to risk management. The course content is both relevant and practicable allowing you to have immediate takeaways back to the work environment. I look forward to the next module.” Cliff Jones, MSc, FIIRSM, FRSPH, FIIAI Head of Compliance and Behavioural Change Power, Transmission & Distribution, Balfour Beatty
Members - £395 + £79 VAT. Total cost: £474
Non-members - £495 + £99 VAT. Total cost: £594
HOW DO I GET THE MEMBER PRICE?
If you are a IIRSM member please log in prior to completing the below form to obtain the member rate.
HOW DO I MAKE A GROUP BOOKING?
For groups of three or more from the same organisation please contact the Training team at email@example.com
Please ensure you read the Terms and Conditions prior to booking this training course.
50% off on selected Managing Risk courses. Glasgow 25 Oct & London 8 Nov. Use code: MR50 at checkout (ends 3 Nov 2017).
Wednesday, 25 October, 2017 - 09:00 - 17:00
Glasgow - Venue TBC
Event Date & Location
The practice of managing risk is integral to ensuring our communities are safe, our systems of governance are stable and that our economies and businesses can grow sustainably.
From telecommunications to transport, financial services to public organisations, supply chain to information security, mental health to physical security, risks do not exist in isolation. Sustainable and resilient organisations manage their risks, whether they present threats or opportunities, throughout all parts of their business.
This course is underpinned by IIRSM’s professional standards of competence in risk management which set out the knowledge and competence individuals and organisations need to manage risks effectively at all levels.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
You will gain a broad understanding of:
- the benefits, principles and practices of managing risks.
- how integrating these across business functions and activities helps individuals and organisations exploit their potential and maximise performance.
- the importance of identifying and managing risk at both the strategic and operational level
- how managing risks can help improve operational efficiencies, decision-making processes and achieve strategic objectives.
This intensive and engaging course uses case studies, analytical tools, video and role play to highlight the complexities and interconnectedness of different types of risks.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
You should attend this course if you:
- have less than 2 years’ experience working in risk management
- work in a risk-related discipline including, but not limited to, compliance, environmental management, health & safety, insurance, internal audit, quality management, security, project management etc
- work in a business function such as facilities, finance, human resources, procurement, sales and marketing etc and will benefit from understanding the principles of identifying and managing risks and the difference it will make to your day to day activities, projects and decision-making process
- are a director or a manger within a small or medium sized enterprise and have many different roles to juggle. This course will give you a good insight into the value of, and how to manage risks to build a more resilient and profitable organisation.
- are responsible for implementing organisational quality assurance standards.
No prior knowledge of risk management is required for this course.
1. Understand the concepts of uncertainty, risk, threat and opportunity in different contexts.
- Uncertainty and their causes
- Categories and types of risk
2. Explain the value of managing risks.
- Why manage risk?
- Principles of managing risk
3. Understand how to analyse the impact of the external and internal environment within which organisations typically operate.
- Why assess the external and internal environment?
- External and internal factors and stakeholders
- Analytical tools
4. Describe the risk management process and how to implement it.
- The risk management process
- Interested parties and stakeholder register
- Risk assessment tools and techniques
- Recording and reporting risk
- Interpreting statistics
- Psychology of risk
5. Discuss how a typical risk management framework integrates with business functions.
- Organisational governance
- Risk management perspectives
- A traditional view vs holistic view
- Risk management framework
- Risk policy
- Risk culture
Benefits of attending
Benefits of attending
By attending this course, you will benefit from:
- improved knowledge and competence to identify and manage risks and opportunities
- increased confidence and gaining tools and techniques to make better, more informed decisions
- one year’s free Affiliate membership, enabling you to network and build relationships with IIRSM’s community
- identifying and producing a list of your organisation’s external and internal stakeholders
- identifying and prioritising your organisation’s top five risks
- taking away a best-practice risk policy
- taking away a Risk Register template to use at work at organisational and project level
- a comprehensive course handbook
By sending your employees on this course, you and your organisation will benefit from:
- improved knowledge, skills and competence to identify and manage risks and opportunities
- improved decision-making
- improved management of suppliers, customers and extended supply chains
- improved operational and project delivery
- reduced work-related incidents and accidents
- improved brand and reputation by actively investing in making practical risk management an integral part of your business activities and culture
Founder, owner and Managing Director of award-winning SME Risk Evolves, Helen previously worked in the IT industry in a variety of different sectors, including eighteen years in high-profile risk-management roles for a global technology company. Now recognised as a leader in the areas of risk management and operational improvement, Helen works as a consultant with companies in the areas of governance, risk and compliance. Helen is passionate about the benefits that effective risk management can deliver to organisations, including long term resilience. A member of IIRSM, the British Standards Institute and of the BSI Committee, creating a new guidance standard to assist organisations to become cyber resilient. Helen regularly delivers talks and workshops on risk topics, including cyber security and the need to manage this growing risk to all organisations.